Monday, April 13, 2009

Did I over water my Phalaenopsis Orchid?

I purchased a white Phalaenopsis Orchid about a month ago. When I got it, it had 5 healthy big green leaves and 4 blossom flowers and two buds. I put it by a window facing south with moderate indirect light. The flowers were doing well and the buds were blooming. A week after I brought it home, I watered it throughly and gave orchid food. oh, the orchid is planted in moss from store. I was told not to re-pot it while the orchid is in bloom. I first noticed 1 big leaf turned slightly yellow close to the base of the leaf by the root. Then a couple of days later, it fell off. Then the 2nd week, I watered the orchid again without the food. Then I started to notice the flowers were dying one at a time. The leaves are all turning yellow by the base and falling off one at a time. Right now, the center where the leaves used to be turned brownish and yucky looking. The flower stem still looks healthy and most of the root still looks green, but all the flowers fell off. Is my Orchid dying?

Did I over water my Phalaenopsis Orchid?
Phael. Orchids need to be treated a little like Cactus, rather than the typical %26#039;houseplant%26#039;.





South window is typically a bright, strong light window. Phael.%26#039;s like a lower light, that could be a part of the problem. Once a week watering could be another. Are you checking the media it%26#039;s planted in, before you water? It should be dry to the touch, but not allowed to dry for an extended time... so dry but not too dry... if that makes any sense. Too much water could definitely be the problem.





Use your fertilizer, after the blooming has finished, for 3-4 months. While the orchid is in bloom, keep it out of direct light... as this diminishes the bloom%26#039;s life.





Give your orchid a little more of a cold shoulder, less love, and you%26#039;ll probably see things get better.
Reply:they are tricky those orchids and you never know... they might look like they%26#039;re dying but can start new growth when you least expected. As long as you water them and the soil is well drained (no sign of mold) and fertilizer every other week. since you%26#039;re saying the root are still green which mean it%26#039;s still alive...just be patient


Today Phalaenopsis Orchid are easily available and affordable..



skin disease

No comments:

Post a Comment